These directions are intended only for Technician Class amateur radio operators living anywhere in South Carolina or Georgia, particularly in the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia and South Carolina.
NOTE: You do not have to be registered to use D-STAR, but, if you want to be able to use D-STAR commands such as, among others, linking to and unlinking from reflectors, you must register with a D-STAR gateway registrar. This page will help you complete that registration.
Gateway registration for D-STAR is a 3 step process. Basically, this is how it works, but detailed directions w/pictures are farther below.
- Step #1
Make sure you register on Kent Hufford’s D-STAR Gateway Registration Page (instructions start below).
REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD: You will need it for step #3 and to be able to log in in the future and make changes to your registration.
- Step #2
Kent Hufford, KQ4KK, MUST APPROVE YOU. Email him at to let him know that you registered on his D-STAR Gateway Registration page. He will approve your registration as soon as possible so that you may complete step 3.
- Step #3
You are now ready to go back and fill out the actual gateway registration form.
After you finish step #3, your registration info will need at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours to propagate throughout the entire network.
Call Kent Hufford, KQ4KK, if you have questions — 803-392-7339 — but definitely before you make any mistakes!
IMPORTANT: If for any reason you are not 100% sure of what you’re doing, call Kent before you bung up your registration! 803-392-7339
Instructions to register with the KR4AIK
D-STAR Gateway Registration System
Remember your password – you gave it, so make
sure that you
At this point, you are now at a temporary hold.
Email the Repeater Admin at to let him know that you just registered on the DSTAR system and are awaiting his approval. The repeater admin will approve you and then let you know by email that you are approved. You may then proceed to the
“D-Star Equipment Registration Instructions” below.
Registration is a multi-step process.
1. You register on the gateway web site above with your call sign and a password that you need to remember.
2. When you find out that you are approved, read on below . . .
When the Repeater Administrator emails you to let you know that your registration is approved to continue, log back in at https://kr4aik.dstargateway.org/Dstar.do using your callsign in caps and your password. Follow the “D-Star Equipment Registration Instructions” below.”
D-Star Equipment Registration Instructions
Please follow the directions below the
“D-STAR Gateway System” image.
- Log in and you’ll see what we’ll call “the grid area.” (See above)
- Click inside the checkbox next to the number “1”.
- Then click inside the “Initial” box to the right of your callsign on the same line as the number “1”. Type just a single “space bar” character. This will not show up but is very important.
- Do not click in the “RPT” check box (or any other RPT checkbox).
- In the “pcname” box (gray background), enter just your callsign in lower case letters – nothing else including a space(s). That completes the first line of the “the grid area.”
- For the second line in the grid area, which will be used to register your first piece of DSTAR equipment, click on the checkbox to the left of the #2.
- Click the box immediately to the right of the #2 and type just a D in that box – no space or anything else before or after the D.
- In the box under “pcname” on that second line, enter your callsign in lower case letters (plus a number of course) followed by a dash “-” (no space) followed by your type of radio in lower case letters and/or numbers with no spaces e.g. 2820, dvdongle, id-5100a, OpenSpot, etc. A dash or underline is also acceptable. Again, all characters in the “pcname” box should be lower case, a number(s), a dash or an underline. Don’t forget – no spaces. Your web page should look similar to the page pictured above except with your personal information show of course).
- For your second piece of DSTAR equipment, repeat lines 5-7 above except put just a C in the “initial” column.
- For your third piece of DSTAR equipment, repeat lines 5-7 above except put just a P in the “initial” column.
- For a fourth piece of DSTAR equipment, repeat lines 5-7 again, but put a different letter in the “initial” column.
- When complete, click on “Update”.
- Log out, then wait about 24 hours and your DSTAR registration should propagate the world and you will be allowed to use reflectors with the equipment that you just registered!Problems? Email the Repeater Admin at
KENT HUFFORD, KQ4KK and John MacDonald, K4BR