The Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (a.k.a. ARES®) is an emergency response group of licensed amateurs who have registered with their local ARES® Emergency Coordinator (EC). Every licensed amateur is eligible for membership in ARES®. Training is desirable, but it is not a requirement in Georgia.
The Emergency Coordinator for Burke County is John MacDonald, K4BR.
ARES® members stand ready for communications duty when disaster strikes. Our primary focus in the CSRA is providing emergency communications for all area hospitals.
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES) downloads
- Download the full version of the ARES Manual [PDF]
- Download the full version of the ARES Field Resources Manual [PDF]
ARES Training Recommendations:
- ARES® members are encouraged to complete two, free online FEMA courses: IS-100 and IS-700.
- SKYWARN training is also encouraged.
- Further classroom-style training in Amateur Radio Emergency Communications may be offered periodically.
- Training may also be conducted from time-to-time at monthly Burke ARC meetings.
- Email John, K4BR, to join ARES®.